Last week, we cut and glued the boards. This week, we move along.
So I started by sanding the edges down. I didn’t take pictures of that. But basically a palm sander starting with 80 grit paper, then to 120, then to 220.
After the sanding, it is time to drill some holes.
The first hole to drill is where the press screw will go. So we center that in the upper plate.
Since we glued boards together, we have about 1.25″ of birch plywood to drill through.
Then we need to measure where the holes will go for the threaded rods.
A smaller drill to drill those holes.
The next big step will be the coats of polyurethane so we need to finish whatever other little steps before then.
The pressure plate will not be permanently attached. The video suggested a “target” on the pressure plate for the foot to go in.
Here is the press screw
And the foot (on the left) will go in this box on the pressure plate but not be attached.
We measured, cut, and glued some scrap plywood to make a box. It is about 1.5″ x 1.25″ as a rectangle. It doesn’t need to be exact and it defintely doesn’t need to be tight.
I also wanted the whole thing to be slightly off the ground so that the water has somewhere to run. So cut some legs and glue those on.
Part 3 will be the polyurethane and assembly. I probably won’t show the polyurethaning. It will take several coats.